Friday, August 20, 2010

Ubuntu, Do you need antivirus,firewall software ?

As you can probably tell I am a Windows user but Ive seen how good Ubuntu is and I decided to give it a go on a spare PC of mine.


Ive got it all installed,which used up some of the old grey matter.


I am however most impressed, especially seeing as its free.


Now to get back to my question.


I have heard you dont need antivirus software, firewall etc. with Linux. Is this true ?


If I do need to install some kind of security, could someone be so kind to point me in the right direction.

Many Thanks.

anti virus

You're highly unlikely to get a virus in linux. Here is a list of Linux viruses:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Lin...

If you compare that to the amount of viruses targeted at windows, it's nothing.


If you're paranoid, go to the add or remove programs thing. And search ''virus scanner''


Also, don't log on as ROOT (administrator) when you don't have to. You're extremely unlikely to get a virus though


Kudos on a successful start!

No comments:

Post a Comment